If you already have a deep cycle battery or if you’re still in the process of buying one then now is the best time to think about using a deep cycle battery charger to ensure that your battery charges as quickly and efficiently as possible so you can use it as quickly as possible when it runs out of charge.
Now not all car battery charges are suitable for use with a deep cycle batteries because their requirements are much different to a regular car battery. A 12V deep cycle battery is a battery containing lead acid and it will spend large periods of time being discharged, whether that be in trolling motors, wheelchairs, solar power equipment, RV’s, audio equipment and a whole range of other electrical appliances and equipment.
1. NOCO Genius G3500 6V/12V 3.5A UltraSafe Smart Battery Charger
2. CTEK (56-864) MUS 4.3 12 Volt Fully Automatic 8 Step Battery Charger
3. OptiMATE 6 Ampmatic Battery Saving charger-tester-maintainer
4. Deltran Battery Tender 1.25 Amp Battery Charger
5. Schumacher SEM 1.5 Amp Speed Charge Battery Maintainer
Deep cycle battery chargers can handle the special requirements that are needed to charge a deep cycle battery. You must first understand the difference between starter batteries and deep cycle batteries.
Starter batteries that are used in trucks and cars are designed specifically to supply short, high current bursts of power to quickly crank over the vehicles engine. Once the engine has been started, the vehicles alternator then takes over the operation and supplies power to the car internal electrical system which then recharges the battery.
Because of this, it’s common that your average starter car battery can go through its whole life without going below 20% charge.
The best deep cycle batteries have more complex needs that you need to meet to ensure that the battery lasts many years without failures or deterioration, however a smart deep cycle charger takes away much of the maintenance saving you time and energy.
For example, they will charge faster and last longer if they are recharged according to their battery chemistry-dependent and temperature dependent schedule which is unique to each battery.
In the perfect charging scenario, 75% of the battery will be charged in the initial bulk phase at 15 volts and 50 amps. Once this is complete the remaining 25% of the battery will charged at a lower amperage until the battery is fully charged.
Also once the battery has been fully charged, the voltage needs to be reduced which is carried out by a maintenance float phase which stops the battery from losing electrolytes.
Manually sticking to this schedule is complicated and time consuming and it would be very easy to make a mistake. Because of this, the best solution is to use a smart charger which removes all the guesswork and does all the work for you and will handle the unique charging schedule of your chosen deep cycle battery.
Battery Charger Tips
How long will it take to charge?
If you work out the number of amp hours that your deep cycle battery can hold then this will help you to decide what kind of charger that you need, and the length of time it will take to charge. To calculate an estimated charge time, you simply find your batteries Amp hour rating and divide it by the amp rating of your charger.
Do I need to cycle my battery?
One discharge and recharge cycle equates to a battery cycle, and to meet the requirements of a cycle at least 80% of the battery’s capacity must be used before fully recharging it. The great thing about the best deep cycle batteries is that they don’t need to be “cycled” down each and every day and of you leave them in a discharged state it can lower the battery life.
How should I store my battery?
If you plan on storing your battery away, always make sure that it is fully charged even if you don’t plan on using it for an extended period. You need to fully charge it to prevent sulfation from occurring which is when sulphuric acid and the lead within the battery plates react which damages the performance of the battery.
Although AGM deep cycle batteries require far less maintenance, its still incredibly important to use the correct charger and method. Keeping you battery correctly charged will increase the lifespan of the battery and save you the hassle of running flat mid journey. Keep on reading to discover the best deep cycle battery chargers that are available to buy today.
5. Schumacher SEM-1562A-CA 1.5 Amp Speed Charge Battery Maintainer Review
Schumacher have been leading the market since 1947 with their innovative products and solutions which have over exceeded customer expectations. This has established themselves as one of the brands of choice for auto equipment.
The Schumacher speed charge maintainer is a superb solution to your battery charging needs and can maintain both 6-volt and 12-volt batteries and keep them at full charge using state of the art float mode monitoring. The charger prevents any battery damage by switching to float mode monitoring once the battery has been fully charged.
The charger has a smart LED display that indicates whether the unit is charges, charging or has come across any issues. The SEM-1562A-CA is ideal for charging small batteries, maintaining large and small batteries kept away in storage. In addition it is great from motorcycle, ATV’s, boats and classic car batteries. Supplied with each charger is a quick disconnect harness that allows for easy removal and has in built revers hookup protection in the event that the clamps are connected to the wrong terminals.
You will really discover the value of this charger throughout the winter months when its cold because it will keep your batteries warm overnight which makes them easier to start when you’re ready to use them.
Each purchase is supplied with a 2 year warranty which protects you against any potential defects that may occur with the battery in the future giving you added peace of mind.
- Maintains and charges both 12V and 6V batteries. This includes deep cycle batteries of all sizes
- 2 Year warranty
- Charger will indicate if the wrong connection is made and will not charge, which protects your battery from damage.
- Batteries can be left attached to the charger indefintiely without overcharging or damage.
- Smart LED display which show when your battery is charged, charging or has encountered an issue.
- Easy fast disconnect harness
- Protected by rugged housing
- Includes charger, jump cables and ring connectors
- Has an in- built micro-processor that quickly verifies the type of battery you have and uses this information to reach the optimal charging rate
- Slower Charging than competing brands
4. Deltran Battery Tender (021-0128) 1.25 Amp Battery Charger Review
The Deltran battery charger is one of the most popular chargers available on the market and the thousands of happy customers don’t lie! The Deltran Battery Tender 1.25 Amp Battery Charger is a renowned charger that can efficiently charge and maintain a variety of different battery sizes whilst ensureing that the optimum charge voltage is reached. Once your battery has fully charged it Automatically switches from full charge to float charging mode protecting your battery from damage that is often caused by trickle chargers.
The 1.25 amp charger has a high level of power and can charge as fast or faster than 3 amp charger and also has Reverse-polarity protection to ensure user safety when operating. The charger has Red & Green indicator lights to indicate when it is charger or charging. If the battery encounters any issues then the Red & Green indicators will both flash.
Deltran have stuck by the same rugged design that has developed into the backbone of their business whilst the hardware inside continues to undergo regular software and design updates to adjust to the market. They stand by their product so much that each battery is supplied with a 10 year warranty.
The battery charger uses temperature compensated technology to ensure that the optimum voltage is reached according to the surrounding ambient temperature.
It’s common for users to have their batteries hooked up to the charges for years at a time and have absolutely no issues when its time to use them.
- Powerful 1.25 amp battery charger
- Red and green indicator lights
- 10 year warranty
- Spark proof
- Reverse polarity protected
- Once fully charged it automatically switches to float charging mode
- Includes quick connect harness if you're in awkward areas
- Depending on your set up, the cord may be on the short side however it's fine for the majority of situations.
3. OptiMATE 6 Ampmatic, TM-181, 9-step 12V 5A Battery Saving charger-tester-maintainer Review
The OptiMate battery charger is a premium solution to your battery charging needs and is one of the most advanced chargers available at present. The charger has a unique Ampmatic microprocessor which automatically detects the voltage and type of battery you own and then selects the correct charging schedule to optimally charge.
The battery charger has an in built multi-stage desulfation program which is perfect for saving batteries that need to be discharged for extended periods of time. This is carried out using 9 steps which the charger follows each and every time your battery is connected, these steps run automatically so you can simply plug it in and let it charge. These systematic steps can extend your battery life by up to 400% over its life.
The charger is encased in a weatherproof housing with a 6ft AC supply lead which will meet most users requirements. This is perfect for charging batteries including deep cycle batteries.
It’s no surprise that users of this product are ecstatic with its results and how long the product lasts once its been bought. It is priced slightly higher than competitor brands but it is extremely reliable so you shouldn’t hesitate to purchase.
- Fully automatic, just plug and charge
- 9 step charging mode to ensure your battery is charged optimally
- 6ft AC lead
- Ampmatic microprocessor to automatically detect voltage of your battery and match it to correct charging cycle
- Charging system can extend the life of your battery up to 400%
- Early indicator which signals any battery problems.
- A little more expensive than other deep cycle battery chargers
2. CTEK (56-864) MUS 4.3 12 Volt Fully Automatic 8 Step Battery Charger review
The CTEK MUS 4.3 23 volt battery charger is a quality charger especially for those who have a range of different types of batteries that they need to charge, and is an easy solution to your charging schedule. CTEK were the first company to introduce and patent a unique 8 step process that maximizes both performance and battery life.
The most important steps of this process is the de-sulphation process which rapidly removes sulfate from the lead plates within the battery and diagnoses whether it can retain and receive charge so checks the overall wellbeing. The charger then runs a special reconditioning phase that restores discharged batteries the charger also initiates maintenance and optimized charging which is very important during cold conditions.
It has been proven that regular use of the CTEK charger can extend the life of your battery by up to three times.
You can follow the unique charging process using the in built LED display. The charger is short circuit proof, non sparking and extremely safe whilst also being reverse polarity protected to give you the easiest charge possible. In the event that you do need to charge outdoors, the charger is water, dust and splash-resistant.
Safety has been paramount during the design of this product to keep the user, battery and your vehicle safe. For example if somebody accidentally touches the clamps together then the charger will instantly detect this, signal an error and disconnect the charging operation. This will be displayed to you with an error light on the display.
As with all reputable companies you will receive a warranty period, however CTEK offer a superb 5 year warranty.
- LED Display so you can stay up to date with its charging status
- Water, dust and splash resistant
- Safety automatic disconnect
- 8 step charging process
- Can extend battery life by up to 3 times
- 5 year limited warranty
- Overall fantastic quality at an affordable price
- Supplied with Comfort Connect clamp and a Comfort Connect M6 eyelet.
- Takes a little time to get used to the connect clamp, but provides no long term issues
1. NOCO Genius G3500 6V/12V 3.5A UltraSafe Smart Battery Charger review
The NOCO battery charger is far and way the leader as the best deep cycle battery charger and is not impressively advanced but also incredibly safe. It can charge both 6 volt and 12 volt volt lead-acid and lithium-ion batteries up to 120Ah, so it can effectively charge a whole host of different batteries including:, marine, powersport, RV, automotive, lawn & garden and deep-cycle batteries.
Its speed is what sets it apart from the competition as it charges 2 times faster than ordinary charger which can be highly important if you’re in an emergency or rush. The charger is guided and controlled by an onboard microcomputer with inbuilt microprocessor, and automatically optimizes the charging to minimize energy consumption.
The charger has spark proof technology, reverse polarity protection and overcharge detection so it can be safely connected continuously 24 hours a day and it has been designed to be compact, lightweight and portable. The battery is supplied with a 5 year warranty.
- Battery protects against overheating, short-circuits, sparks, overcharging, reverse polarity and over current
- Automatically stabalizes internal battery chemistry for a greater level of performance and longevity.
- Current levels automatically adjust when a battery is connected in relation to its voltage type.
- Charges 2 times faster than ordinary deep cycle chargers.
- LED indicators display any issues and current charging status.
- Small, lightweight and portable whilst also being rubberized and non-slip
- Internal temperature sensors automatically adjust charge based on the ambient temperature.
- Charger can keep battery fully charged without overcharging.
- 5 Year limited warranty
- High quality build and features
- No jump charge vehicle charging, but can be found in the more pricier NOCO charger.
So those are the top 5 best deep cycle battery chargers which has now made your buying decision even easier. Often there isn’t a one size fits all, but the NOCO battery charger is the closest solution that you’ll find to this backed by the countless customer reviews and testimonials from hundreds of customers that couldn’t be happier with the product, as it has now left them with one less thing to worry about.